Samsung recently started rolling out its latest official firmware update for the Galaxy S4 with model number GT-I9500 in several countries. Most of these firmware updates come with security fixes and feature enhancements, while some offer bug-fixes and performance improvements over its previous iteration.
The Galaxy S4 I9500 users in Southeast Asia can now download and install the latest official Jelly Bean firmware, Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDE, through Samsung KIES as well as via Over-The-Air (OTA) update.
Version: Android 4.2.2
Built date: April, 2013
Regions: Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand
The Galaxy S4 users who missed the OTA update notification and those who are residing outside the supported countries can manually download and install the same using our step-by-step guide given below.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S4 on the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode.
3) Make a backup of all your important data before following the guide.
4) The Galaxy S4 should be factory unlocked and not locked to any particular carrier.
5) Ensure the battery of the phone is charged more than 80 per cent.
6) The Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDE Jelly Bean firmware is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 and installing this on any incorrect variant will brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of the Galaxy S4 by navigating to Settings >> About Phone.
Steps to install Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDE Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500
Step 1: Download Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDE Jelly Bean firmware for Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 to the computer. Then extract the downloaded zip to get a file with .tar or .tar.md5 extension along with few other files
Step 2: Download Odin 3.07 which will help to install the Jelly Bean firmware
Step 3: Switch off the Galaxy S4. Then boot the device into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home buttons together and then press the Power button until the device turns on. Now press the Volume Up button to enter Download Mode
Step 4: Launch Odin on the computer
Step 5: Connect the Galaxy S4 to the computer using USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. Wait until Odin detects the device. When the device is connected successfully, the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the COM port number. Additionally, the successful connected will be indicated by a message saying Added. If Odin fails to detect the device then re-install USB driver.
Step 6: Select the files, which are extracted from the I9500XXUAMDE Jelly Bean folder, to install on the phone
- Click on PDA and select the file with .tar or .tar.md5 extension
- Click on Phone and select file with MODEM in its name
- Click on CSC and select file with CSC in its name
- Click on PIT and select the .pit file
Step 7: In Odin, verify the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checkboxes are selected. Also verify that the Re-Partition option is unchecked
Step 8: Double check everything and click the Start button in Odin to begin the firmware flashing. Upon the completion of the installation process, a message saying PASS will appear
Step 9: The phone will restart automatically. Once the home screen appears, safely unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 should be now updated with official Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDE Jelly Bean. Head over to Settings >> About Phone to verify the software version running on the device.
Click here to know How to Root Galaxy S4 I9500 running on Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDE Jelly Bean firmware.