This tutorial uses ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) and an insecure kernel released by Recognized XDA-Developers, arco68. It is allows Galaxy S4 Mini users to root their devices without any difficulty.
Disclaimer: Rooting voids the warranty of your device. We and the developer of this rooting procedures shall not be held responsible if any undesirable outcomes may happen to your device. use of this root guide is solely at your own risk!
1. Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini on the computer.
2. Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone by navigating to Settings >> Developer Options.
3. Make a backup of all your important data before following the guide.
4. The Galaxy S4 Mini should be factory unlocked and not locked to any particular carrier.
5. Ensure the battery of the phone is charged more than 80 percent.
6. The CWM recovery and Root Kit files works only on the LTE version of Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (GT-I9195). Applying these to any incorrect variant might brick the device. Verify the model number of the Galaxy S4 Mini by navigating to Settings >> About Phone.
1. CWM - Mirror Link (recovery-clockwork-184.108.40.206-serranoltexx.tar.zip)
2. Root Kit - Mirror Link (S4Mini_RootKit_v2.zip)
3. Kernel - Mirror Link (GT-I9195_Kernel_v1.zip)
4. Odin 3.09 - Mirror Link
Steps to Root Galaxy S4 Mini (LTE) I9195 Running on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Firmware
Step 1: Extract the CWM recovery .zip and Odin .zip files using WinRAR/7-Zip/WinZip or any other extracting tool.
Step 2: Copy the RootKit .zip and Kernel .zip files to the SD card of your phone.
Step 3: Switch off the Galaxy S4 Mini. Then boot into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot icon with a warning triangle appears on screen. Now press the Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
Step 4: Launch Odin on the computer as an Administrator.
Step 5: Connect the Galaxy S4 Mini to the computer using USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. Wait until Odin detects the device. When the device is connected successfully, the ID: COM box will turn to light blue with the COM port number. Additionally, the successful connected will be indicated by a message saying Added.
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then try re-install USB drivers or changing the port on the computer.
Step 6: In Odin, click the AP button and select the CWM recovery .tar.md5 file. Verify that F. Reset Time checkbox is NOT selected.
Step 7: Double-check and click Start button in Odin. The installation process will now begin.
Step 8: Once the installation process completes, your phone will reboot automatically. When the phone vibrates, IMMEDIATELY press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons at the same time to boot into CWM Recovery.
Step 9: In CWM Recovery, select "install zip from sdcard" option then select "choose zip from sdcard". Now, navigate to the RootKit .zip file that you copied earlier and confirm the installation.
Step 10 (optional): Return to main recovery menu and repeat Step 9 but this time select the Kernel .zip file to use a custom stock kernel, which might fix battery drain for some.
Step 11: Once the installation process completes, return to main recovery menu and select "reboot system now".
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (LTE) I9195 running on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean is now rooted successfully. You can now install any app that requires root permission. Verify the root status of the device by downloading Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
Thank's to all fellas at XDA who first tried out this rooting technique. This method was originally posted via XDA-Developers original thread.