December 30, 2013

How to Root Galaxy S3 (Verizon) SCH-I535 on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Without Tripping the KNOX Warranty Void Counter

Samsung Galaxy S3 (Verizon) SCH-I535 users who have already updated their devices with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, may root their devices using the tutorial below.

This tutorial uses the Root Exploit package released by Senior XDA-Developers, k1mu. The Root Exploit package allows Galaxy S3 users to root their devices easily without tripping the KNOX warranty void counter.

Disclaimer: We and the developer of this rooting procedures shall not be held responsible if any undesirable outcomes may happen to your device. use of this root guide is solely at your own risk!

Note: This method will NOT set the KNOX warranty void flag. It will set the "Custom" flag, but that's nothing to worry about.

Pre-requisites
1. Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 on the computer.
2. Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone. Go to Settings >> About Phone. Tap on Build Number several times till the message shows "You are now a Developer". Enable USB debugging by navigating to Settings >> Developer Options.
3. Make a backup of all your important data before following the guide.
4. Ensure the battery of the phone is charged more than 80 percent.
5. The Root Exploit package works only on the Verizon version of the Galaxy S3 (SCH-I535). Applying this to any incorrect variant might brick the device. Verify the model number of the Galaxy S3 by navigating to Settings >> About Phone.

File Required
1. Root Exploit (saferoot.zip) - Mirror Link

Steps to Root Galaxy S3 (Verizon) SCH-I535 Running on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Firmware
Step 1: Extract the Root Exploit package to the computer using WinRAR/7-Zip/WinZip or any other extracting tool.
Step 2: Connect the Galaxy S3 to the computer using USB cable.
Step 3: On the computer, navigate to the extracted directory and double click "install.bat" file. You will see command prompt window which will detect your device and automatically run the scripts.

If you are using Linux or Mac OS X, navigate to the extracted directory in a terminal and run the following command. Please note that you'll need to have the Android Debugging Bridge (adb) installed and configured on your path.

$ chmod +x install.sh
$ ./install.sh


Step 4: Once the rooting procedure completes, your phone will reboot automatically.

Samsung Galaxy S3 (Verizon) SCH-I535 running on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware is now rooted successfully. You can now install any app that requires root permission. Verify the root status of the device by downloading Root Checker app from Google Play Store.

Note: Many Samsung devices store a flash counter that keeps track of how many times you have flashed custom firmwares to your device. Triangle Away can be used to reset the flash counter to zero.

How to Fix "Unfortunately, SuperSU has stopped"?
Step 1: Download and install the latest APK of SuperSU on your device.
Step 2: Open SuperSU app (update the binary if prompted) and allow it to disable KNOX.
Step 3: Reboot your device.

Thank's to all fellas at XDA who first tried out this rooting technique. This method was originally posted via XDA-Developers original thread.

Click here to know How to Update Galaxy S3 (Verizon) SCH-I535 with Android 4.3 VRUCML1 Jelly Bean official firmware.

32 comments:

  1. Do you have another link to the saferoot zip file? The file sharing site is causing issues for me in several browsers and the XDA website link is broken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The links has been corrected. Thank you for letting us know.

      Delete
    2. the file is still not working......

      Delete
  2. IT WORKED! Thank you so much. I was wondering if I can use triangleaway to reset my flash counter still? My custom binary count is at 1 from a previous ROM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. All credit goes to the developer of the root method.

      Unfortunately, there is no way to reset the KNOX counter at the moment.

      Delete
  3. The saferoot bat file ran but it says it's for S4 not S3. Will it still work for the S3?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tested working on some variants including Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-I535. Try it and let us know.

      Delete
    2. Worked on my Verizon S3 SCH-I535. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. author, what is this comment? concerning when a person leaves a comment after following your guide and you block it.

      Delete
    2. We do not block any comments. It was deleted by herself. Last comment from Emily can be seen in the previous comment (at 8:14 AM).

      Delete
  5. How do you/can you flash custom roms with this method? If so, can you explain

    ReplyDelete
  6. This file share site is a POS, primary link can't find the file. The mirror link, the download failed twice and now I am locked out. What happened to good ol' FTP sites?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The links has been corrected with newer saferoot.zip. Go back and try it again.

      Delete
  7. thank you so much i have the samsung galaxy s3 SCH-I535 and it work great for me

    ReplyDelete
  8. This page has an out of date copy of the original author's root program.
    It's being updated almost daily, and this copy is not being updated.
    Go to the original post on XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2565758

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you have to put the phone in download mode or not?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would doing this allow for installation of the Xposed Framework?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I extracted the files to my desktop and ran the install.bat. Once the window opens up and says "plug in your phone and press any key to continue", I press a key the window closes and nothing happens. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  12. this root process worked great for me the first time out...thank you very much...

    ReplyDelete
  13. my device is the sch-I535, running 4.3, i've just successfully rooted the phone with Saferoot...
    can i do anything else with this device other than remove bloatware and install custom apps???...
    has anyone figured out how to supplant verizons locked bootloader yet???...
    i want the ability to install custom roms at will...

    ReplyDelete
  14. para poder hacer este procedimiento tengo poner el verizion en modo de descarga o normal lo conecto al ordenador xfa alguien puede responder se le agradeseria mucho XD

    ReplyDelete
  15. It worked but ... I previously rooted my phone, and use supersu &bashX & terminalEmulator. After upgrade to 4.3 SupeSu reported there was no 'su' binary. After this procedure, now if I try to login as root from bashX I get a prompt. but have no permission to even execute 'ls'. If I create a non-root login, then I ca ntype 'su' and get root. Maybe I need to re-install SuperSu.

    ReplyDelete
  16. After rooting using this method, would I be able to change the APN setting on my S3? I need to able to change the APN, I will be traveling out of the country?

    ReplyDelete
  17. my phone model is SCH-I535 but the carrier is Open Mobile not Verizon, this upgrade will work on my phone?

    ReplyDelete
  18. How long does this usually take? The command prompt on my computer has said "Sending files to your device..." for about 10 minutes. Is this normal?

    ReplyDelete
  19. MIL GRACIAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. For my Verizon S3 SCH-I535, the command prompt is stuck at "[*] Waiting for your phone to appear." I've tried switching back and forth between Media and Camera USB options, but no luck. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just needed to update my Samsung USB driver. Hopefully that helps someone else that has a similar issue. Phone is now successfully rooted.

      Delete
  21. I tried this ( and a few others) . I get an error:[*] Starting rooting program.
    ro.build.product=d2vzw
    ro.build.id=JSS15J
    Your kernel is patched!
    This device is not supported.
    [*] Checking if rooting succeeded
    [*] Unfortunately, rooting failed. Cleaning up.
    install.sh: line 107: [: missing `]'

    what can I do??

    ReplyDelete